Saturday, January 14, 2006

"Do you know the colour of pain?" A voice whispered in my ear. I shook my head, trying to find the voice that had been asking me the same question for what seemed like an eternity. I wanted to answer, wanted to make the pain stop because yes, I knew the colour of pain.

"Do you know the colour of pain?"

"Yes" I wanted to scream "Pain is blue" I thought about the colour of my pain, the sharp blue of knives.

"Do you know the colour of pain?"

"Pain is purple" I wanted to tell the ghost voice and I thought of the dull purple of old bruises

"Do you know the colour of pain?"

"Pain is red" I tried to explain "The red of burned flesh"

"Do you know the colour of pain?"

"Pain is yellow" I thought "the yellow of a fires flame."

"Do you know the colour of pain?"

"Pain is pink, the pink of a throat screaming for mercy."

"Do you know the colour of pain?"

"Pain is a rainbow" I whispered

"Do you know the colour of pain?"

"Pain is white" I realised "The colour of pain is pure and unsullied"

And with that thought, I died.

4 Comments:

Blogger Iranian said...

Dear Sherri,

I find this peace quite effective, as it is concise and precise. Then again it is a bit too dark and gloomy which is a good ambience when one is talking about pain, isn't it? The speaker of the piece is anyone and the ghost voice is ? The conscience ?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I loved this piece! I had chills while reading it and actually cried when I read the last sentence. Wow Shez - that was powerful!

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a dark and powerful piece. It reminds me of something Poe would have written. It was a very unexpected yet nice change of pace from your previous writings, some of which made me snort, I hate to admit lol Behold the many faces of Sherri! Love ya, girl... keep up the good work!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this poem, but if I had written it, I would have left off the last line.

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home